Afghan Girl all grown up.
“That picture was taken during the Sikh day parade. He was one of the first people I photographed. He’s a computer IT specialist. He travels a lot. Sikhs at the time were being randomly selected for security. I wish people would just say “you have that thing on your hand and we aren’t sure what it is” instead telling someone they are randomly selected. One time he wore the shirt through security and the guard chuckled. It’s a way of loading off steam at the reality that people have to face.
When the tragedy first happened, my heart sunk. A time frame is a time frame. The pictures have been out there. I wasn’t thinking that people need to see this. When I was speaking to the Sikh Coalition, I was thinking this is the perfect time for people to see them because they wouldn’t just see the suffering but see the positive things. I had this vision of how I wanted these pictures to look. I’m not creating a false environment; I want to portray the positive images not in crisis and in mourning. Those types of pictures are important. But I want people to understand the vibrancy of this community.”
seriously though why don’t i have her body
you don’t want it, she looks like a rectangle
- Zahra Billoo, the executive director of the San Francisco Chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, will join us to talk about rising Islamophobia and hate crimes against Arabs, Muslims and South Asians in the US, as Chicago-area Islamic centers are attacked after a Congressman says radical Muslims are “trying to kill Americans every week”;
- A US federal court upholds the state secrets privilege, foregoing the rights of Muslim citizens;
- Bus ads in San Francisco call Palestinians “savages”;
- Also, an Israeli high court decision enables the widespread torture of Palestinian detainees;
- The Israeli army sentences a soldier to just 45 days in prison for his killing of a Palestinian mother and her daughter in Gaza, who were shot while waving white flags during Israel’s attacks in 2008-2009;
- The Guardian (UK) has hired a new contributor who openly called on the Israeli army to kill Americans sailing to Gaza, including Pulitzer prize-winning author Alice Walker and Kindertransport refugee Hedy Epstein;
- Palestinian refugees forced out of Iraq feared lost at sea en route to Australia;
- A South African government official tells citizens not to visit Israel because it mistreats Palestinians.