White people love to claim that PoC are “defensive” and “sensitive” but they’re the ones who automatically think every tweet/post/article about race or racism is talking about them personally. You don’t even have to say “white people” and they’ll think you’re talking about them.
A simple list of facts that highlight just how bad the Conservative party is for this country.
Some highlights (yes, the actual list is longer):
- 1.7 million more people at risk of poverty or social exclusion
- Child poverty up 13% (previous government cut it by 50%)
- Tax evasion & avoidance up 13%, 165 tax collectors cut from budget
- Failing government welfare schemes, all of which were judged as useless by independent parties before they were implemented
- Bedroom tax hitting 660k people, 63% of which are disabled
- Forcing disabled support organisations to close branches, while forcing over 250k disabled to work unpaid
- Child funding (SureStart) down 20%, childcare costs up 30%
- GDP growth 5th worst in EU
- Household debt growing even faster than under Labour
- 430k businesses & individuals declared bankrupt/insolvent
- Unpaid workers up 26%
- Long term female unemployment up 80%
- In real terms, wages have dropped by £1600 - while banker’s bonuses have risen by 64%
- Food & Water charges up 19-20%
- Stamp prices up over 50%
- Up to 20 medical treatments no longer free on NHS
- GP funding cut by £943m, GPs per 10k people down 4.3%
- 1400+ mental health beds cut, suicide up 8% in a year
- £1 billion wasted on reforms that lead to over 3,500 staff being made redundant, only to be rehired later
- Social housing waiting lists at record highs, 1 million in-work families cannot afford private rent (up £1k/year)
- Homelessness up 26%
- Tuition fees up £9k
- £1 billion wasted on private schools, funding taken from state schools
- Student benefits (EMA) cut entirely, despite evidence it was beneficial. Dropout rate has climbed since.
- 60k NHS staff cut, 34k police cut, 600k public sector employees cut
- 10 prisons closed, 4 changed to for-profit model
- 179 libraries closed
- Royal Mail privatised at 60% of it’s value, despite making profit
- UK Statistics Authority repeatedly scolding Tory MPs over twisting or lying about statistics
Jessica Williams talks to John Tamny, columnist for Forbes
John Tamny, professional asshole
Daily wish to the universe that this woman be given her own show like she deserves to have.
Emily Alpert, “Why bisexuals stay in the closet”
Remind me to slap biphobes with this statistic any time they utter the words “you’re just on a stepping stone” or any iteration thereof. (via bemusedlybespectacled)
(I realize that not everyone is the leader of a country but everyone can certainly take this man as an example.)
as much as i love bey and think “drunk in love” is a bop, i hate hate HATE the “eat the cake, anna mae” line. and the fact that she sang it herself at the grammys is kinda upsetting tbh.
I really hope that we’re not considering her exempt from criticism because this shit is straight up unacceptable
Some white lady on Hoarders said her life basically collapsed when the Indian Government wouldn’t let her adopt a little Indian girl and I got to thinking…
Whenever I’d hear white people talk about adopting brown children, it always sounded like a fetish.
Especially Ethiopian children. There are soooo many blogs circulating about that. What gets me are the entries where they talk about doing that child’s hair, even sometimes doing the same hairstyle to one of their biological children to make it look ‘cohesive’.
Nail on the headdddddddddddd
I always love re-blogging Laverne Cox. Not only because of her eloquence, intelligence, kindness, and beauty, but also because her voice might be one of the most important in the fight against hatred in the U.S.A. today. What she has to say is crucial to the growth, peace, prosperity, and freedom of all of us. If you have the time, please watch this video.
Wealth is not the inevitable result of hard work, and anyone who claims so has made a stupid claim. Wealth results from the trading of products or services that other people value and demand. Wealth also results from the accumulation of these profits, and from having sufficient material resources to satisfy one’s own demands. Wealth is not inevitable. Nothing is inevitable.
The Daily Show: The R Word (x)
Jessica Williams and Samantha Bee convene two panels to discuss the state of race relations in America.
This issue is so important to pay attention.
dont depend on NO MAN.
Reblogging this to explain why there are people of color upset about this hideous, hideous display:
I am a man of color who wears locs. My hair has been loc’d since 2005. It is clean, I maintain it monthly, moisturize it weekly and wash it as needed (this can be multiple times a month if I’m feeling athletic and trying to get my fitness on). It is loc’d to the root. I went through the early loc’ing phase when I was in college but AT NO POINT did it look dirty, unclean or unwashed.
DAILY I have people who try to connect the dots between my hair and my race and use that against me. I have people (COWORKERS) who’ve thought I was a drug dealer (I barely drink) and have people who classify me as a thug because of the way I wear the hair God gave me.
People (white) who come up to me and tell me how they”dreaded their hair for a few months but cut it out because it was so dirty, you know what I mean?” I wear my hair pulled back in a neat ponytail 97% of the time because I know all this hair makes white people nervous. Imagine if everytime someone saw you they assumed you were dirty, simply because they tried to do something you did (locs) and failed because their hair texture wasn’t correct, and instead of realizing that maybe it was just their situation, they’ve decided to apply that to everyone they meet.
And this nasty, unwashed young woman who feels the need to rebel against something (probably a shower) is sitting up proclaiming to the world that she has locs?
White privilege at work. Not only would I be unemployed if I had the audacity to traipse into my job looking like the inside of a drain, but I would immediately be classified as more of a thug than people already THINK I AM.
That’s why we’re upset. Black women can’t even wear their hair the way it grows out of their heads without it being a national scandal, yet this unwashed, unclean, clearly disturbed individual whose friends obviously have not informed her of the error of her ways will walk out in public and people will not only accept her, they will applaud her for being so different and unique.
Women like this are DIRECTLY affecting my life in that almost everyone I encounter has a friend or a cousin who is her and has given an entire LEGION of people a bad rap.
This is why cultural appropriation is harmful: when we do something and excel at it, are professional about it, look good doing it, it’s worthless. But throw it on a white body doing it the most lazy, bastardized, mediocre way ever and suddenly not only is it OK, it’s amazing! And so much better!
*PS It really does look horrible.
I WANT TO PRINT THIS OUT AND HAND THIS OUT TO EVERY WHITE KID IN ALL OF CALIFORNIA
Go Forth and Educate Yourselves!
I’d also highly recommend watching the Jane Elliot Brown-eye/Blue-eye experiments, which can be found here: